Friday, May 27, 2011

Reading groups and unbirthdays

Yesterday I went to do reading groups at Isabella’s school like I do every Thursday.  It was the last time I would do reading groups this year. It was bittersweet.  I have enjoyed spending time this time with Isabella and being able to help out in her class.  Her classmates are sweet and funny.  They have awesome personalities and I have really gotten to know each one.  We have a really great time together. It reminds me of my days as a kindergarten teacher.  Sometimes I miss those days but then I think about all of the things God has allowed me to do over these last 5 years that I wouldn’t have been able to do if I was working full time.  Being able to volunteer at Isabella’s school, go on field trips and be the one who stays home with her when she is sick or when there is no school are just of few of the things that I’ve been blessed to do as a stay at home mom.  Yesterday was the day that her teacher let us celebrate Isabella’s unbirthday.  It’s an unbirthday because Isabella’s real birthday is in the summer. Having a summer birthday would normally mean she wouldn’t get to celebrate at school with cupcakes, juice, and cute birthday plates and napkins.  But for the last 3 years her teachers have made it a point to take the last 2 weeks of the school year to let the summer birthday kids celebrate their unbirthdays.  So after reading groups I brought in cupcakes and juice for the whole class.  Isabella was able to help me pass everything out and then the whole class sang to her.  No one could take a bite of their cupcake until Isabella had taken her first bite. It was a great day. I’m going to miss Thursday reading groups.








No comments:

Post a Comment