Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Getting Organized

I have been busy trying to get myself more organized. Most people who know me would say that I am an organized person. I keep a color coded daily planner, color coded family calendar, I LOVE binders, page protectors and file folders. Baskets and bins are my BFF.  So it would only make sense that I tackle the one area in our house that seems to have gone unorganized for far too long.  Our closet.  I tackled the closet a couple of weeks ago and I was able to get rid of 14 garbage sized bags of clothes. Yes you read that right. 14 bags.  It felt really good to purge so much stuff from my life. I felt lighter and less stressed out when I walked into my closet to choose an outfit the next day.  But dear blog friends that was not the end of the closet cleaning. I decided that in order to maximize the space we had I was going to buy some of those awesome Huggable Hangers.  I love them!! They really do hug the clothes and keep them from falling off and they just look so fancy.  I was on the lookout for some bins to store my purses. We found some at Ikea but when we got them home they were too big for our shelf so I am still on the lookout for the right sized bins or baskets.  The closet is far from done. I have big plans to make it a functional organized place. Which of course takes time and with a 3 year old to keep entertained all day time for big projects is rare.  But if I plan my days right I can carve out an hour here and there to get it done.  After the big clean sweep of the closet Mr.G and I decided on a rule to keep us from getting into such a mess again. Our rule is: for every new thing that comes into the house, one thing must go.  It's a good rule but one I'm sure will take some discipline to get used to.  At least on my part. I'm great at the bringing in the new stuff, it's the getting rid of the old stuff that's the problem.  I hope that if there is an area of your home that you want to get organized you are encouraged to tackle it head on.  There is nothing better than having a place for everything and having everything in its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment